18 Mile Run, Six Hour Closet Cleaning & Furniture Painting

I haven’t posted in forever but I’ve been feeling like I should be doing more to document this life o’ mine.

Yesterday, I got Anders up at 4:45 AM and we got ready for the longest run of my life. He was anxious to ride his bike with me and be my water and food provider. I run ten minutes then walk one so I downloaded an app to alert me every ten minutes and the minute after that. We found a path (thank you, www.mapmyrun.com) that was 18 miles long and had almost no hills – not only that but it was a really beautiful run too, along the Jordan River Trail mostly.

Jordan River Trail Saratoga Springs Utah
Jordan River Trail Saratoga Springs Utah – I’m pretty sure that’s some weird mutant half-cow, half-lamb on the right.

The run went pretty well. Anders, who I was pretty worried about, did awesome. 18 miles is a lot for a nine-year-old to ride. Luckily I’m a slow runner and the trail was pretty flat so that made the whole thing a lot easier on him. Last week I ran a half marathon (13.1 miles in the Utah Valley Half Marathon) so I knew I could do at least that much. My time last week was 2:29ish and, though I’m not 100% certain, I think I did the 13 miles yesterday in about 2:10 or 2:15. The last five miles was brutal. I called Katrina for moral support because my mind didn’t want my body to run any more. I started to take longer walking breaks and that helped. We finally finished after 3:07:45, which is (much) better than I expected to do. It felt SOOO good to be done. Aside from a not too bad blister on one foot, I was fine – no joint issues, no shin splints, no chaffed butt crack or bleeding nipples. Just the mental struggle to keep going. So that was a cool start to the day. Today, on the other hand, I’m walking like an injured puppet but it’s nothing that 800 mg of Ibuprofen can’t solve.

Next up – cleaning and organizing our cold storage room. This has been on my honey-do list for years. Literally. I push it off and avoid it because it’s daunting. I don’t have any before pictures but we couldn’t even walk in there – it was a mess. Thanks to some serious hours (probably five or six) and two huge trash bins of junk being removed or given to good will, we’re now all organized – by holiday, by season and by category. There’s really not all that much stuff in there but if you let it get out of hand it can really take over.

Lastly, Katrina and I painted the side table that my parents gave me. We use it as a TV stand and it just didn’t match. We decided to paint it glossy black. In retrospect, we would have gone with matte black but oh well. New hardware added a nice touch as well.

Today is Father’s Day so my wife and kids made orange rolls and cinnamon rolls (a Sunday tradition around here) and brought them to me in bed. Sweet! I have yet to exit our bedroom and it’s 9:40 am. I have an appointment with a member of the stake presidency in a few hours and I’m not too excited about that. I really like my calling (Gospel Doctrine Teacher) so I hope they don’t change it on me. We’ll see.

There are a thousand other things I could talk about since my last post but easy does it. I’ll try to write a little more than I have been. For now, I need to get out of bed. Oh – there’s one more important thing. My grey hair. It’s happening. Katrina and I were on a date Friday night and she stopped me and said “Whoa! You have a tons of grey hairs!” Sure enough, I do. Well, my Dad is one handsome guy with his white hair so maybe I’ll look like that when I’m older. I’m cool with that.

Until next time.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *